- Come Bye - sends the dog to their left (clockwise) around the flock.
- Away - sends the dog to their right (counterclockwise) around the flock.
- Lie Down - For me this command is like an emergency brake that is broken. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But it allows the dog to relieve pressure from the stock, handler to gain control, stop them, prevent them from running them down and leaving the handler in a heaving crumpled mess on the field. Actually there are too many practical uses for me to explain here - or that I actually understand, yet. *sigh*
- Walk Up - tells the dog to walk straight up to the sheep. Walk slowly, not shoot forward as the hounds of hell bit their arse.
- Steady or Time - slow down, take time, corrects pace if the dog is moving too fast or acting like a squirrely rocket shot from a cannon. This command only works if the handler gives it at the appropriate time and not after she goes into a trance saying "she is so pretty".
- That'll Do - this is a combination of "here" and "work is all done". At the end of work or task the dog is called to the handler.
- Look Back - return for a missed animal. This command tells the dog to turn around, 'look back' to find the sheep you missed. This is a command I had a lot of practice with Beth - because she busts the sheep up at the top then tries to run them down the field like a maniac inevitability leaving one behind. It means something personal to me too...it was the first time I really felt a connection with Beth on the trial field. We didn't win, or even get a score - but she listened to me and went back for her sheep. It was a big step of trust for us and I won't forget it.
My friend Jodi suggested the name for a photography business and it fit perfectly for me beyond the relation to sheep herding. When I curl up on the floor of my bedroom with a box of baby pictures - I look back in time, revisiting the days when my children were little...and still liked me. I look back in my high school annuals at the friends I had and cannot for the life of me remember.
Without further adieu
Ta Da! My new website www.lookbackphotography.com
Please visit and let me know what you think. There is even a new blog (that can be accessed via the website) that has the photoshoot posts from this blog transferred over.
Look Back Photography Blog
Thank you for everyone's support and encouragement. It has been a scary journey to launch this and take a step off into the land of self employment. Please wish me luck....especially since the unemployment insurance is ending next month and there are NO jobs in sight!
There is a saying "Doing what you love is Freedom. Loving what you do is Happiness."
I can't wait to find out if that is true.