Saturday, July 17, 2010

Border Collies in Action Calendar

Just a quick post for now.  Life & sunshine has been getting in the way of blogging.  Between working dogs, trips to the river and sleep I have been putting together a few posts about our trip to Idaho among other things.

Ranger has been keeping us busy too.  His latest antic?  He found the seam ripper that was on my sewing desk...and chewed it up.  All the while it poked & chewed up his mouth.   

It will take a few days before he stops whining while he eats.   *insert long suffering sigh here*

Why, oh, why do dogs persist on chewing things when they hurt?

"Cuz I am Ranger...like 'doh dude." 


Ranger is as Ranger does. 
 
He will be fine - alas none the smarter.

Moving on...

This week we found out that three of our pictures will be featured in the Border Collies in Action 2011 calendar.  On the suggestion of a friend I submitted a few of our favorite shots for review for their calendar.  Later they posted a contest for a people's choice award.  While we did not win, our pictures were selected to be included.  Two will be featured on 'month' pages and one is an honorable mention and will be featured as a smaller photo.

Here are our pictures that were selected.

A portrait of "Brynn".  This is one of my favorite pictures of her.  You can see the kids reflected in her eyes and her expression shows how much she adores them.  The way she has tilted her head is so typical for her - inquisitive and anticipating the next move.  She is wet from playing in water - her second favorite thing in the world.  Technically the picture is spot on perfect - but the back ground was less than desirable so I overlay-ed a texture to mask the ugliness behind her.  I love the whole effect. 

Technical Mumbo Jumbo:
Camera: Canon EOS 7D
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/5.0
Focal Length: 210 mm
ISO Speed: 400



"Ranger & Bonnie"  Another one of my favorite shots.  Amazing that Bonnie isn't hanging off Ranger's neck, or have an evil look in her eye.  Just two dogs having fun racing through the water.  What I really love about this shot is the fact that I did little to no post processing (other than a crop) just one of those lucky shots straight out of the camera that captured their personalities perfectly.

Technical Mumbo Jumbo:
Camera: Canon EOS 7D
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/640)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 300 mm
ISO Speed: 1000




The honorable mention is "Ranger under a Log"  By far my favorite picture of Ranger...like, you know...evah!  Another straight out of the camera lucky shot.  No post processing - other than a quick crop.  This is the shot that exhibits my camera's capability and how much I have learned on this photographic journey.  Perfectly exposed, gorgeous lighting, spot on focus, lovely composition...ohhhh the music to an aspiring photographers soul.  This shot was a complete accident.  Ranger had been hopping under this huge log at the river, digging furiously in the sand, the popping his head out to see if he got the other dog's attention.  The sunlight lit up his eyes and face perfectly...his expression makes me smile.  Quintessential Ranger. 

Technical Mumbo Jumbo:
Camera: Canon EOS 7D
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1000)
Aperture: f/5.0
Focal Length: 90 mm
ISO Speed: 160



To see all the pictures that were selected click on link below. 

BORDER COLLIES IN ACTION PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD

7 comments:

D.K. Wall said...

Beautiful pictures and congratulations on the selections.

Ranger, dude. What were you thinking?

Bandit's Pack said...

Congratulations on having several selected for the calendar. The People's Choice winner is a good one, but personally I would have definitely voted for "Ranger and Bonnie." Gosh, how I wish I took pictures like yours!!

Ryker said...

You are a very gifted Photographer. When people tell me I am good I just refer them to your blog and say "Now she is good Photographer. I only hope to be that good some day." I love your overlays...would love to know how you do it.
~Sandy

Country Girl said...

Wonderful pictures!! I'm jealous of your talent! And I feel your pain with poor Ranger. Sigh, love 'em or hate 'em, but you gotta admit they don't lack character.
Silly dogs...

Jenny Glen said...

Just so you know, I voted for your picture of Brynn. I didn't know who took it but it spoke to me. I thought about one of the pictures that were taken of dogs working but Brynn's jumped out at me so I chose that one. Sorry it didn't win the whole thing but it will be a nice picture on one of the months. My Hemp was in one once and we nick named him Mr. December since that was his month.

Ruth said...

Wow! That's fantastic! It just proves how good your photography is, and why we read this blog.

BC Insanity said...

By far my favorite calendar I get every year, never miss one. But finally get tired of the same dogs. Will definitely be looking forward to getting the 2011 one!!!!
Your photos are sooooo much better than the winners', which are blurry, lack focus and good lighting. What were the judges thinking?
I think you should have your own calendar, or a book, because you capture action and emotions in beautiful settings.