Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Ashes to Ashes...

Today when I picked Bonnie up from day boarding (she is going until she is healed from the spay surgery) I had a bad moment.

I board the dogs at the same vet where we had Katie put to sleep. I completely forgot we had asked for private cremation. When I got there to pick Bonnie up the gal at the desk (who had the best of intentions) asked me if I was there to pick up Bonnie? I told her I was. Then she said "We have Katie here too if you would like to take her home tonight?".

I was stunned. For a moment I felt like I was in a parallel universe. I must have looked confused because she then said "I am sorry...we have Katie's ashes, they just came today. Did you want to take her home with you?".

I wasn't prepared for that & I burst into tears. She handed me a little box and a clay imprint of her foot, with her name stamped on it.

Then they brought Bonnie out from the kennels - she was yelping & barking from excitement to see me, she washed my face, wiggled and whimpered with joy.

I miss Katie dearly, but I have three more wonderful dogs who fill my life with joy every day. I am blessed.

No comments: