Questions about his direction in life
His questionable choices
Now we understand why we have had these concerns. Like most loving 'parents' our instincts were correct.
Ranger has a drug problem.
Saturday we took the dogs up to the Carbon River Ranger Station & Trail located just below the Carbon Glacier near Mount Rainier.
Right before the park entrance we stopped to let the dogs run on the river off leash. When we were parking we saw several teenagers leaving a camp spot next to the river. They had left a bunch of stuff behind. Food, bags, garbage and this...
Dozens of bizarre 'rock sculptures'. Which oddly enough were rather cool to look at. But my surly inner child couldn't resist knocking each and every one of them over...then giggling like a maniac. I digress...
Ranger being the inquisitive dog that he is stuffed his nose in everything. Obviously looking for yummy treats. John pulled his nose out of the camp fire, a bag and other hidey holes of goo.
We crossed the river and enjoyed our time, relaxing and photographing the dogs.
Ranger & Bonnie were in top portrait form.
But Bonnie wouldn't get more than about 10 feet away from Ranger, and she was being strangely nice to him.
Then Ranger started doing funny things. Beyond the typical silly Ranger things.
Like dropping the ball and then falling off the edge of a bank.
Ranger hopped up on this log, then stayed there an inordinate amount of time...just taking in the scenery.
This is why I love to photograph him...but this was just plain freaky
He stood happily on this log for 10 minutes.
After the log, he became oddly attached to a section of moss, little motivated him to move.
Then the goofy head tilt started. He would stare into space...at nothing.
Duuuuude....look at that.
Bonnie said "Something stinks in Ranger Land, he is acting wackier than usual".
Happy dog, went to loopy dog in a matter of one hour.
When Ranger began to drool, had difficulty walking, his head was tilting oddly and began falling over in earnest we immediately left for the vet where he began to vomit, lost control of his bladder and his heart rate dropped, he was quickly admitted for treatment of unknown toxicity. He was hooked up to an IV, given charcoal and supported overnight.
The first question our vet asked us "Do you have teenagers at home?"
We said "Uhhhh why?"
He said "Because Ranger's symptoms match marijuana toxicity perfectly".
John and I looked at each other and grimaced and told the vet about the campsite.
We are still not 100% sure what he ingested, but the vet feels, given his symptoms it may have been marijuana or psychedelic mushrooms left behind by the campers.
Marijuana Toxicity in Dogs - The usual pet toxicity case involves a dog that has inadvertently eaten a stash of marijuana. In the dog, clinical signs typically begin 30-90 minutes after the marijuana has been eaten. Because THC is stored in the body’s fat deposits, the effects of marijuana ingestion can last for days.I like for this blog to serve as a resource of helpful information. I am growing weary of being the example of "what not to do". My wallet is not happy either.
Signs & Symptoms include: uncoordination and listlessness along with dilated pupils, slow heart rate and sometimes urinary incontinence. Marijuana toxicity can look similar to intoxication with numerous other sedatives. It is very important for all the relevant information to be presented to the veterinarian if the pet is to be helped. Veterinarians are not obligated to report to local police. If you know marijuana was involved in an intoxication it is important to make this information known. Obviously this goes for other recreational drugs as well.
Hallucinogenic syndrome - Mushrooms that cause this syndrome are known as magic mushrooms, blue legs or liberty caps, and are considered illicit drugs in many places. "Street" mushrooms are generally edible mushrooms, like those found in supermarkets, laced with LSD or other illicit drugs. Whereas dogs ingest other poisonous mushrooms in woods or the back yard, they pull hallucinogenic mushrooms out of backpacks or other hiding places. Behavior changes include restlessness and hallucinations. Dogs who are hallucinating frequently snap at invisible flies, may be extremely depressed, stagger when walking and become comatose. Muscle tremors and seizures also occur. Dogs who ingest hallucinogenic mushrooms always require rapid decontamination and monitoring by a veterinarian.
Ranger is home, recovering, thankfully...and listening to an inordinate amount of Pink Floyd and staring at the wall.
"It's all cool...dude....no worries man...I am just chillin'.