Thursday, November 3, 2011

TMT #15






1. What are you thankful for this week?

Many things.  Our pasture owner/landlord who has been an absolute pleasure to work with.  Both he and his wife bring a smile to my face each time I see them.  God certainly was involved in helping us find the right place. 

I am also thankful for my husband because one more week has passed and I am still alive.  I often find myself wondering when he will finally snap and kill me, but he has the patience of a saint (or masochist - I haven't decided yet).


2. How do you deal with a squeaker/shrieker/noisy dog?

Ranger can be an aggressive, fence fighting barking nightmare.  Since we live in a neighborhood with a HOA I have no choice other than to put a bark collar on him when we leave him at home.  Bonnie is also a barker.  One thing that has been helpful is the 'bark-fest'.  Occasionally I will give them all the signal to 'speak' and they all bark, get treats and then I give them the signal "QUIET" and they get treats for being quiet.  It helps the smarter ones control their barking and they know exactly what I am getting upset about when they are all barking in the back yard.  Ranger is not one of the 'smarter' ones.  He will keep barking and fence fighting as I walk up behind him with a wiffle bat.  The only thing that shuts him up is the electronic bark collar.  Once it goes on...he is silent as a church mouse.  He knows EXACTLY what he is doing and why he is wearing it.    

3. Barbara wants to know: what would you say is ONE skill or attribute needed to be successful? 

The ability to allow yourself to succeed. 


4. Pippin wants to know: what are your favorite games?

As a family when we get together we play dominoes or cards. Myself I prefer games such as "F*ck with your Husbands Mind".  I have a perverse obsession with scaring people.  On Halloween I spent the night on our front porch dressed up like a ghost where I scared many neighborhood children, much to their parents delight. 



5. What are some of your strategies for dealing with winter?

Vitamin D, potent antidepressant, and good sturdy rain gear (I like Carhartt Workflex Raingear) it breathes and stretches as you move - which is essential when your arse is wider than the Mississippi.





My Bogs boots have also been a cornerstone for surviving winter in the Pacific Northwest.  Warm, dry and comfortable.  This year I am adding these to my waterproof boot collection.  Bogs Mason - Women's Waterproof Boots  Now to decide if I am going to get them in brown or black?  I am leaning toward brown. 

4 comments:

Laura Carson said...

Ok, you're the second person to mention Bogs. I must check this out!!

Oh, and that video? Had me almost peeing myself laughing. lol

Jaenne' said...

I love my Bogs! They are the fancy kind...just the plain, black rubber that goes up to my knees...

Ryker said...

Ha, Ryker knows what the bark collar is for too. He has gotten much better about his barking now and we almost never use it. But when we did he was so funny...he would do little woofs to see how light he could bark and not set it off! He really makes me laugh!

Patty in NM said...

I know what you mean about the bark collar. My crew knows exactly what it's for. All I have to do is put it on them and blissful silence. They don't know the batteries are dead!!!