I need help...well... beyond the obvious mental health concerns, I was hoping to get some much needed input for a new camera.
My current camera is a Canon Powershot A650 IS
It has taken pictures like this...
This one makes me smile
I dont have photo editing software, beyond what came with my camera (Lexmark). I can crop, adjust the color saturation, contrast, brightness...etc. Just the basics.
But if you look at my pictures, you will see that only the stills (or semi still) pictures are decent (in focus - sorta). Because when I am taking pictures I am watching the stupid little red box that tells me what is in focus or not.
In this picture the red box was on the log. When you are trying to snap pictures of dogs, especially border collies that move at a high rate of speed, that stupid red box becomes cumbersome and annoying. (Ranger is also back lit, which makes this shot difficult for me).
I am going to try this one again in the afternoon so the sun will be in front of him rather than behind him.
Isn't he just the goofiest dog in the world? I need a better camera just so I can appropriately document Ranger for all posterity. Your world would be richer, the world could be at peace.
The red box limits the Rangerfication of the world. In this shot, I got the red box on Ranger, not the river, grass or leaves. So Ranger is in focus - sorta.
Bonnie has such nice clean teeth. Raw meaty bones are awesome. Got the box in the right spot. I like it when that happens.
My action shots suck. I am sure most of this has to do with the lighting and my preset settings that I use on my camera. I was stunned I actually got this shot...but it would be cool if Brynn were in focus, instead of Ranger.
In case you are wondering...she caught the Frisbee.
Typically my action shots are fuzzy and blurry.
Truthfully I have no idea what I need in a camera. I have fiendishly devoured a multitude of websites dedicated to photography basics, i.e. Pioneer Woman Photography. I have tried to read other websites telling me I need this or that about cameras & varying opinions (e.g. nikon vs canon). I have talked to people....I am still dazed, confused...befuddled.
What I know is this...
- I want to take action shots and or stills of my dogs in various situations. Photographing my children is not a high priority. They are seared into my memory forever (trauma has a way of doing that). But the occasional picture of a human would be nice too - I guess.
- In taking action shots or stills I want my camera to be able to take pictures quickly. With my current camera I have to wait 18 - 30 seconds between each shot.
- I want to be able to take close up pictures (my current camera sucks at this) I guess this is the lens?
- I want to have a decent amount of pixels - so I can have some fun with editing and larger pictures - or does this even matter?
- It would be nice to have video capability (but not necessary - I can use my other camera for that)
- Lens options (ideally what I need will come in a package).
- Relatively idiot proof (cuz I am an idiot) so some good pre-settings.
- Manual settings for use in the photography course
- Desire package (camera and lens) under $1,000.00 in price
Is this a good choice?
Or do I choose Nikon? Why Nikon? Why Canon? Why do my panties bunch up under my jeans?
So many questions, so little time.
Thanks for all the advice and/or suggestions you can offer.