I am an absolute wreck right now.
I did not make the decision to adopt the puppy lightly...or on the fly. This was something I thought & prayed about for weeks. I found the perfect fit for our pack and my heart in Miss Puppy (called Lyndi on the rescue site - so that is her name for now).
When I went to Moses Lake to meet Lyndi and pick up Jazzmine (who had already been adopted by another family) and Susie (another owner surrender) for transport back to Seattle area - I did so with the intent to adopt her ONLY if I knew in my heart it was the right thing. When I met her I knew I couldn't leave her behind. In 2 days I have fallen completely in love with this little sweetie - she really is an exceptional little girl.
The entire litter of pups were vaccinated on Monday. Tuesday morning Jazzmine was sick (fever, vomiting and diarrhea). The foster mother brought Jazzmine to the vet & was told it was an allergic reaction to the vaccinations. That same day when I met them Jazzmine and all the other puppies appeared to be healthy and happy.
On the drive back Jazzmine exploded a few times in the crate. She contined with vomiting/diarrhea when I got her home prior to being picked up for transport to her new home.
Lyndi was just fine. She was full of energy and happy. She ate her dinner and was drinking good. Wednesday morning Lyndi ate her breakfast & drank water, but by the afternoon she had vomited it all up. She nibbled on her dinner & continued to drink water but diarrhea had set in.
She vomited several times thru the night. I brought her to the vet immediately this morning. The vet ran a parvo test followed by with a CBC to confirm it was not the vaccinations she recieved on Monday giving a false positive. The parvo test was positive. She has parvo.
Even though she clearly felt weak she was a little fiesty tyke when they tried to take her blood - she didn't want anything to do with that and actually squirmed out of their grip twice. She even managed a couple growls and a bark. But that seemed to take most of what she had left right out of her, shortly after she just drifted off and I was not able to wake her up when they took her into the back.
The vet is being very cautious and guarded on his prognosis. He is going to call me in a couple of hours and let me know how she is doing. Then I will have updates every evening and every morning.
I am absolutely devasted.
I was so worried on the way back over the mountains with Lyndi and Jazzmine that something was seriously wrong - Jazzmine kept vomiting and they both were covered in diarhhea by the time we got home. Jazzmine vomited a few more times before she went home with Vicki. I knew it wasnt a vaccine reaction when Lyndi started to get sick last night.
Now I have to clean everything with bleach. Thankfully Lyndi was only ever in the kitchen/dining room, her crate in my bedroom (I carried her upstairs and put her right into her crate) and one section of our house with carpeting. The few times she was outside I know exactly where she had been.
I know the ratio of water:bleach is 10:1 to kill parvo. Can I use that on my grass too? Will it be sufficient? Should I maybe just burn that section of my grass?
The vet also told me it wont be a good idea to have a puppy at my house for at least a year. So that narrows down my ability to foster.
The vet bill is going to be phenomenal. Our vet is going to look into getting funds from the clinic to cover some of the bill. It isnt just Lyndi who is sick - the entire litter is sick now & will all need to be hospitalized.
This is so horrible. I feel terrible about this and am worried sick about my little girl. I am not sure I can make it through losing yet another dear animal. First Katie in November, Charlie last month and now this. I don't think my heart can take much more.
Please say a prayer for Lyndi.
4 hours ago